What I'll Miss



As we can see the light at the end of the long, dark tunnel for the Coronavirus quarantine I realize that I have gotten used to staying at home so much. While I cannot wait to get back out there and go to a store, dine out and travel, I realize there are some aspects of this ‘stay at home’ order that I will miss.

I’ll miss my wardrobe staples. Out of the almost 2 months we have been told to stay at home I have worn leggings, gym shorts or pajamas all of the time. I have been beyond comfortable for so long I don’t know if I’ll be able to even think about constrictive clothing again. The next time I have to put on heels I’ll probably fall. I love these comfy clothes so much I might not be able to give them up. Hugh Hefner had it right.

I’ll miss working from home full time. Getting up 5 minutes before I should start working has been fabulous. It’s amazing how much you get done when everything is remote. Former meetings that would take an hour can be summed up in 15 minutes. I no longer have to be ‘work ready’ even if it’s a zoom call. A simple shirt and brushing my hair is sufficient - pants are optional :). I’ve actually enjoyed the home interruptions. It’s nice to know that everyone’s home life is just as chaotic as mine.

I’ve gotten used to carrying out and driving up to shop and get food. I will say I want to keep this going somehow even after we are able to go in a store or restaurant. Not having to go in Kohl’s to pick up my online order saved me about an hour of my life and oodles of frustration. I’m pretty sure in Heaven you pull up in front of a liquor store and someone brings you out a bottle of wine.

And of course,I love all the time I’ve been able to spend with my kids. We are no longer rushing around to practices, tournaments or even school. These days have us eating all of our meals together. I make breakfast for my early-riser daughter. We’ve been rotating who is making dinner. I hope that as adults they’ll lovingly remember these culinary lessons when they have to one day cook on their own. 

We’ve also played more games in the past couple of months that we have in such a long time. We’ve enjoyed board games & cards on the colder nights. I would like to say that I’ve always won these games but that would be a lie - my kids are competitive little beasts! As the weather got warmer we’ve played more outdoor games that my old body can handle. I’ve played tennis, volleyball, badminton & basketball with my kids. My poor body has ached but the memories and laughs are so worth it.

So while I won’t ever want to go back to this life we’ve all had to live for the last 2 months, there are fragments that I will think of fondly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Roundabout Way of Thinking